High Ozone shock treatment or ozone blasting has been promoted in recent years as a fast and inexpensive method of mold remediation in commercial and residential buildings. There is little scientific evidence that it is effective, and some that it is not; governmental standards on mold remediation frequently recommend against the use of this method.
High Ozone Shock Treatment involves using an ozone generator with a timer to create lethal levels of ozone in a mold-affected room or building for a short period of time, perhaps an hour. Any area which may have high ozone levels must be evacuated for the duration.
At a time when many home and business owners are seeking to avoid more expensive methods - cleaning or removal of building material, in extreme cases the abandonment of sick buildings - high ozone shock treatment is a cheap and fast alternative. Ozone treatment can remove unpleasant odors, including those caused by mold, and can also kill vermin.
Criticism of Ozone BlastingEdit
Critics point to a 1997 study which found exposure to high levels of ozone ineffective at mold decontamination, and to the lack of studies showing high ozone shock treatment to be effective. They also point out that killing mold inside walls does not remove the mold, and that dead mold may continue to have adverse health effects on building inhabitants. Others point out that ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent which could damage rubber and other materials, and that ozone reactions could actually lead to increased levels of noxious chemicals such as formaldehyde.
- Foarde, K.K., D.W. VanOsdell, and R.S. Steiber. 1997. Investigation of Gas-Phase Ozone as a Potential Biocide. Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 12(8):535-542
- "Ozone and Mold", Jim Holland
This page is being imported from Wikipedia, to create a Wikidwelling stub or article. These steps need to be completed: